Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lessons Learned and Injuries Sustained

Lesson Learned: Don't knit a hat that needs to maintain any sort of actual shape or fit a head after being worn twice out of Simply Soft, or any pure acrylic. Garrett's hats are now more of a beret/rasta hat that fall off of his head when he bends over. I get the feeling that I've blogged about this before but I'm posting from gmail so I can't check. I asked around on Ravelry and my suspisions were confirmed that acrylic was the culprit. Of course, the most obvious answers are the ones you always miss, lol. Superwash wool! Duh!!! He can get it dirty and wash it all he wants and it's cheap enough through KnitPicks to replace somewhat frequently. Or, he can just pay for the yarn, ha! I've got a couple of skeins on order (yay for clearance!!) and I'm excited to try it out. I've never used Superwash so it will be fun to try something new. Garrett really loves the hats I knit for him and that's so much fun. It makes me want to knit for him even more!
 
Injuries Sustained: I attempted to chop off my thumb on Tuesday night. I was not sucecssful but I did come away with a pretty gnarly cut! I've been showing it off to everyone. Well, those that will look at it, that is. B and Logan refused to indulge me this time. It was great; I was cutting very wet potatoes (I know, I'm a genious) and one flew out from underneath the knife and narrowly escaped being butchered by sacrificing my thumb in it's place. I briefly checked it out and it was bleeding a lot and pretty deep but didn't appear to need stitches or any immediate medical intervention so I stuck it under cold water to get it all rinsed out. Nurse B assisted in the procurement of the advanced medical supply located conviently in the kitchen to aide in staunching the blood flow (that's a paper towel, btw). I noticed that it wasn't slowing down after a minute or two so I took a closer look. This is the cool part, but skip it if you're weak of stomach (ahemWendyahem). Turns out that I had cut through my thumbnail, which had then gotten lodged inside of the cut on the fingertip. My first thought; "Damn...I'm going to have to pull that out of there. That sucks.". Suprisingly, it didn't hurt and was relatively easy to get out. That helped the blood slow down so I threw a band aid on and went back to dinner.
 
I haven't tried knitting with my injured thumb yet and I have no idea if it's going to be a problem. I really hope not; I have a lot I want to work on. Can I knit through the pain?? I guess we'll find out soon enough!

No comments: